Since 2014 I have worked as a freelancer. I have mainly contracted on public sector projects, as
- An interaction and service designer at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, Royal Borough of Greenwich, NHS BSA, DWP Digital and HMRC Digital, and helped with leading design at NHS Digital on the NHS Beta programme.
- A product manager on the national Covid vaccination booking service at what felt like the whole of the English public health sector.
Between 2000 and 2014 I held head of, director, and board positions at the agencies Home, Bloom, and Brahm, responsible for the digital, design, and creative parts of those companies.
I used to coordinate the Leeds gov design meets, a regular meet-up for people in and around Leeds who are designing and making public services.
I got my first full time job in 1998, starting as a junior web developer on Sporting Life. I got to play with databases full of sport data and work out how to put all that onto the internet as information. It was the best first job I could have wished for.
I have helped co-organise
- Leeds Digital Festival between 2010 and 2013
- Leeds Service Jams and Leeds GovJams, helping teach service design
- Bradford CoderDojo, guiding young people to design and make with code and technology at
I am proud to have been one of the co-founders of award-winning Grimsby Town fanzine Cod Almighty.