Working from the shed today I had to clear the whiteboard off a bit so I could hang some stuff up.
A few months back I went to Service Design Futures event at UAL, which was excellent.
In the corridor by the hall we were in was a wall highlighting the UAL design school manifesto, and as tear sheets.
The full manifesto:
- We believe in design as site of action and agency to radically transform our world.
- We believe in the power of design to critique, confront and challenge inequalities.
- We believe in questioning geopolitical, socio-cultural, and disciplinary boundaries.
- We believe that design operates in an ecology beyond the human centric.
- We believe that learning is continuous, collaborative and creative.
- We believe in the power of making as critical practice and tangible intervention.
- We believe in embracing uncertainty through experimentation and risk-taking.
- We believe in the value of interrogating the past to shape our futures.
The manifesto is “intended as a work in progress, always in process and open to commentary, conversation and critique.”
I grabbed me some of those sheets and had them stuck to the shed whiteboard since.
I bloody love that seventh point. From the corridor of UAL to the corridor of uncertainty. Always in that corridor of uncertainty ain’t we.